Friday morning at The Leadership Summit started out with a bang.
Session 5 – Craig Groeschel
Craig Groeschel is the senior pastor at Lifechurch.tv. If you’ve never heard him before, he’s a crazy talented speaker. Craig spoke on IT – How Leaders Can Get IT and Keep IT. I picked up his new book on the subject.
Some churches have “IT” – a buzz in the air that something special, something spiritual is going to happen.
Craig has some theories on IT:
- God make IT happen
- We can’t create IT
- It is rare that one person can bring IT; but one person can kill IT
- IT can be lost if you have IT; IT can be found if you don’t have IT
- The early church had IT – Acts 2:42-47
There are certain qualities when IT is present:
- laser focus
- there are no obstacles; only opportunities
- willingness to fail
- led by people who have IT
And those are just the highlights. If the book is anything like Craig’s talk, it’s a must-read.
Session 6 – Chuck Colson
Chuck Colson, author and founder of Prison Fellowship Ministries, spoke on the subject of Defending the Faith.
- our job as leaders is to lead people; not to pander to them
- don’t blame the culture; if the culture is sick, it’s because the church is sick
- Christianity is a worldview, seeing all of life through the eyes of God
- Christianity rests on certain truth claims that cannot be ignored
- Christians should propose their beliefs to other people
- We have an invitation to the world
- Without truth, there is no freedom!
Session 7 – Catherine Rohr
Catherine Rohr is the founder and CEO of the Prison Entrepeneurship Program (and quite sassy, I might add). The PEP teaches prisoners business skills and character so they can succeed when they are released from prison. Sounds like a really cool ministry.
- “There is nothing that I wouldn’t risk for God”
- She prays “Bring it on God!”
- God’s plan is better than my plan, so I need to just chill out and let God take control
- We, as Christians, are a bunch of “grace junkies”, but we don’t forgive easily
- If you’re sick and tired, then change is easier
- Be quiet… be still… let God work
- Don’t get too emotional over criticism
- If the leadership isn’t in good health, then the whole organiziation suffers
- Privacy has to be given up to gain accountability
- Connect people’s hearts to the mission, and the money will follow
- Why don’t we all give our skill sets over to God more often? Why are we so surpised when others do?