Last night I took Andrea to see the movie Mamma Mia. I thought I would share a few thoughts on the movie.
- Chick flick. Period.
- We saw the musical last year, and I think the musical was better than the movie. I, like many, wondered how in the world you turn ABBA songs into a story. It works pretty well actually, but the element of surprise was lost the second time around.
- Pierce Brosnan can’t sing. At all. In fact, none of the older men in the movie can sing. The women aren’t bad.
- It’s hilarious to see my kids sings along to Andrea’s ABBA CD. They get all the words wrong. Ok, that has nothing to do with the movie.
- I don’t remember the musical having a “Greek chorus“. That was often funny.
- The filming was unusual. It seemed like the lighting was atypical for a movie. And I don’t think they used much makeup for the actors and actresses. Not bad. Just different.
- They were two guys sitting near us in the theatre…
- The audience was 90% female. They were a few men with their “dates”, but mostly it was lady’s night out.
- The women in the theatre “ooo’ed” every time Pierce was on the screen.
- People actually clapped at the end of the movie. Hadn’t seen that since Star Wars.
Take your wife. It’ll make her happy.